Search This Blog

Monday, May 23, 2011

The Mentalist Season Ender

 
I don’t know how many follow The Mentalist, but that was the best season ender I’ve seen so far. The writers figured out they couldn’t keep the show’s resident boogeyman, Red John, going forever. The way they set it up for a final face to face between Jane and Red John really worked. If they had tried to stretch the Red John villain into next season it would have been a bomb. The Mentalist has so many pluses going for it they don’t need resident jump the shark characters to trot into the plotting at spaced intervals. I enjoyed the way the threads from the season were wrapped up. Jane gunning down Red John before sitting down to drink his tea in the middle of the mall was a hoot.

The finale left enough up in the air for next season to make it a ‘can’t miss’ show for me. They better not come out with a ‘Fail’ like saying it wasn’t the real Red John either!  :)

6 comments:

Jordan Summers said...

I agree. I'm worried they're going to do that, when they've done such a great job of wrapping up this particular storyline. I think it would be much more interesting to see Patrick Jane having to function now that his goal has been reached.

BernardL said...

Yeah Jordan, and Jane will be charged with murder whether it was Red John or not... and it better have been him. Somebody will call it an execution. I can see many pretty good shows in the series dealing with the aftermath.

Charles Gramlich said...

I haven't seen it. Lately I've only been following Smallville and the office. And now Smallville is done and gone.

BernardL said...

I think you'd like the Mentalist, Charles, but seeing it from the beginning would be my recommendation if you do. This was the third season.

After all these years watching Smallville, I hated that whiney finale. They killed off my favorite female character, Tess, and only had about a minute's worth of entertainment otherwise. Instead of leaving me with Superman at the end, they left me with Metroman. Yuck! :)

Jordan Summers said...

I'm hoping they don't drag out charging Jane for long either. I mean the dude was armed and threatened him first, even if he kicked it up a notch.

BernardL said...

As long as Red John's dead, Jordan, I don't care what they do with the aftermath. They're going to make me mental if they take that away. :)