Search This Blog

Saturday, May 9, 2009

Ford 7.3L Diesel Oil Leak



I’m posting this picture because I’ve run across more than a few of these Ford 7.3L Diesel Engine oil leaks. I figure it will make the search engines as did my other vehicle related posts. There is an o-ring seal which stops oil loss out of this large galley plug. It should not be done by just anyone because it’s hard to get at and takes a breaker bar and cheater (pipe extension for leverage) to break it free. I’ve heard complaints the dealer charges a bundle to clean everything on the engine and run dye through the engine when one of these come in for a leak. It would be a legitimate charge if after they did the inspection they would then fix the leak. They often times don’t see it leak right away after cleaning, charge for the inspection, and kick it on down the road. This leak should be repaired first because it allows oil to seep and wash down over the rear engine block and oil pan - making it appear as if there are multiple leaks.
The plug is the one in the middle of the picture above. You can only see it from under the truck, looking up at the back of the driver’s side cylinder head.
On the lighter side, a friend sent me these Jack Bauer from ‘24’ jokes:
1. Jack Bauer won the Tour de France on a unicycle to prove to Lance Armstrong it wasn't a big deal. He thinks yellow wristbands are gay.

2. The only reason you're conscious right now is because Jack Bauer doesn't want to carry you.

3. If you wake up in the morning, it's because Jack Bauer spared your life

4. Chuck Norris is a Texas Ranger only because Jack Bauer won’t allow him to be a federal agent :)

That’s all for this update, but if you’re appreciative of the information, here is a link to my new novel COLD BLOODED for Nook and Kindle. If you’re kind enough to read it and like it, please review it on the site you purchase it from. Thank You! Every little bit helps my writing gig. :)

14 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Well, I could say that, if you didn't know all already that you just didn't know Jack!

BernardL said...

Yes, you could, Charles. :)

raine said...

Lol at the Bauer jokes!
Thanks for sharing. :)

BernardL said...

I got a much needed laugh at the Jack Jokes e-mail too, Raine. :)

Beth Partin said...

I like the Chuck Norris one especially.

BernardL said...

This is one I just received, Beth:
'Just because Jack Bauer shows up with jumper cables doesn't mean someone called Triple-A.' :)

Anonymous said...

I found this guy on youtube that has a repair kit for the 7.3 oil leak that keeps you from having to pull the engine (saves labor and other parts problems). He shows how its done. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slnFCb46IO8

BernardL said...

Interesting fix, Anon. Thanks for the input.

Anonymous said...

Bernard, I am looking to buy an older diesel pickup(1995-2003) ford with the 7.3l. what is your opinion on the 7.3l and what would the max miles be to still have good life left on the motor and tranny? thank you for your time.

BernardL said...

Anon, the 7.3 is a solid performer but as with any diesel the vehicle will be expensive to fix when broken. Your question about the upper end of mileage to count out a candidate is impossible to predict. I'll give you some better overall advice. Don't buy a vehicle without extensive record keeping by the owner. Don't buy a 7.3 with oil leaks already running down. If the seller can show absolute proof of frequent engine and tranny oil changes and the vehicle engine is dry of oil below then the gamble will be at least feasible. If you can't find one without the proof of maintenance, save your money up until you do.

Shawn said...

Thank you for your insight into the oil leak toward the back side of a 7.3 Deisel. Just purchased a 1990 and have discovered what I think is the same problem. Live in the Seattle, Tacoma Area. Any ideas on how much shop time it may take to fix this problem and someone up here who would be good for the job. Wish you were closer.

BernardL said...

I'm sorry Shawn, it all depends on how much time it takes to bust that plug free. Here is the link for the International Automotive Technicians Network I belong to where you can find a good independent in your area:

iATN

BernardL said...

ATTENTION! For those of you who have suggested I add a donation gizmo to my blog so I may get some recompense for my efforts, I have an alternative since I hate the word donation. Here’s a link for my new novel COLD BLOODED’s pre-order page. It comes out November 22ond, but you can get a look at it there and pre-order it. If you like action/adventure fiction, take a walk on the wild side with COLD BLOODED. That way my publisher finds happiness and you can say thank you while getting something in return. :)

COLD BLOODED

BernardL said...

My novel Cold Blooded is now on Nook too.

COLD BLOODED on Nook