Search This Blog

Saturday, December 22, 2007

Wake Up Call

“Hi, Bernie,” a woman’s voice called out from right beside me on Friday morning.

In my defense, the air compressor was knocking away. I was in complete concentration mode under the hood of a 2001 Pontiac, and probably nothing short of an earthquake would have jarred me out from the Pontiac’s maw. I managed to not pop my head up like Bambi scrambling for cover, and eased out slowly as if I knew she was there all the time. This doesn’t happen often; because in my shop’s neighborhood, it’s not healthy to get surprised. I usually have a sixth sense about walk-ins. Lucky for me, I was surprised by a five foot four inch old customer’s daughter, and not a six foot four gangbanger. Who says God doesn’t watch out for the oblivious.

She wanted to make an appointment for an oil change. In doing so, she issued a gentle reminder to get my head out of my ass; and look up occasionally, as if I did indeed know where the hell I was. :)

Monday the twenty-fourth I’ll be in my attached comic shop, writing all day, instead of fixing cars. I’ve already promised a bunch of my regular kid customers I’d be open early.

8 comments:

Jordan Summers said...

Ah, the joys of Oak town. *ggg* The writing should keep you out of trouble. ;) Merry Christmas.

BernardL said...

Merry Christmas, Jordan! Yea, I'm going to try and take a picture with the lights on and everything. I haven't had a chance to open the comic shop all day for quite a while.

raine said...

Sounds like a great way to spend Christmas Eve. :)

Merry Christmas, Bernard!

BernardL said...

Thanks, Raine, Merry Christmas to you!

Leigh Russell said...

Happy Christmas and Happy New Year

BernardL said...

Thanks Leigh, Merry Christmas!

Erica Ridley said...

Heeey! I'm 5'4" and I'm pretty badass!!! =)

Happy Holidays, Bernard!

your pal,

Erica Ridley, Author & Ninja

BernardL said...

LOL! My apologies, Erica, I didn't mean to downplay the Ninja-like abilities of 5' 4" dynamos. Remember though, I work with my hands, so I handle all threats the same way: pepper spray till they drop, stun-gun 'em till they quit movin'. :) Merry Christmas, Badass!