Search This Blog

Friday, August 3, 2012

Screenplay Attempt

I submitted my first short screenplay to an ad looking for ten page screenplays this morning. I'm looking forward to finding out how they handle queries. It would be a change to get something other than a 'not for me' form letter. As to screenplay writing with my new software, I can only say I'm glad I'll be helping my daughter with her interest in it with some experience. Whatever anyone says about using Word to do it - forget about it. After doing this ten page screenplay I can tell you this much concerning the difficulty doing it. I would never do it on any other program, and having stated that, the learning curve is steep. Once you get the hang of it, and the visualizations are flowing in your head, the rest comes with repetition. It is without doubt a whole other ballgame compared to novel writing.

On the marketing front, I'll be giving out the link for the next Book Trailers Showcase e-mag. It will be carrying my full page ad for HARD CASE. They did a wonderful job on it. A real selling point for it is they archive the copies with the ads, so any readers perusing the back issues will always see the listing. Although my marketing partner, RJ Parker is doing incredibly well with his non-fiction series in both literary and audio sales, he's found that the fiction world is a really tough nut to crack. I have retrieved my rights back for my erotic/paranormal LANCELOT. I'm going to replace that sissy cover they stuck me with and try releasing it again.  :)

10 comments:

Rick said...

Best of luck on this, Bernard! I think your style will lend itself well to the silver screen.

BernardL said...

Thanks, Rick. It's a fresh challenge at least. :)

Charles Gramlich said...

I've thought of trying my hand a few times but the learning curve has put me off. Luck with it.

Vesper said...

This is exciting! Like Rick said, it suits you well. Best of luck with the query.

BernardL said...

Final Draft makes it easier, Charles, but as you say, the learning curve is steep anyway. One thing I like about that program is if it notices you doing something wrong inside a scene with the formatting, it won't let you continue until you go back and find the error. Having the guide open the whole way helped too. :).

BernardL said...

Thanks, Vesper. I'm hoping to help my daughter with learning the program, because she wants to try her hand at screenplays. It would be neat to at least get a few bites on this first one. :)

Rick said...

Hey, are you going to post an excerpt from your screenplay?

BernardL said...

That's pretty tough to do, Rick. A screenplay looks like an alien entity in its formatted form. If you want, I'll send you a PDF copy of it. It's not 'Gone With The Wind' or anything. :)

raine said...

Agree.
Some of your work would kick ass on the screen. :)
Hope the news is positive!

BernardL said...

Thanks, Raine, it's another facet of writing I always wondered about. I'm working on my novel HARD CASE first in line after I do a couple more short pieces. If you ever want to have a few hours disappear in a heartbeat, practice screenplay writing. :)