Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

ARCHANGEL Reviews


I have garnered a couple of reviews for my 99 cent Kindle book ARCHANGEL I’d like to share. One is from my blogging buddy, author Charles Gramlich. He liked the humor and action in the book which were definitely the elements I wanted to convey.

This review is from: ARCHANGEL (Kindle Edition)  By Charles
"Well, you will never look at Archangels, Lucifer, and nuns the same way again. The story concerns two Archangels, Raphael and Abaddon, the Archangel of the Abyss, in an alliance with two Catholic nuns to destroy demons that are possessing important human figures on earth and reeking havoc with human lives and world affairs. There's a lot of action and a whole lot of humor. A fun book."

The second reviewer noted the obvious political slant I wrote the book from, and although not in agreement with it, objectively critiqued ARCHANGEL’s content. I couldn't ask for more.

This review is from: ARCHANGEL (Kindle Edition)  By TWM
"I found it an interesting exercise to read of three of the world’s most liberal leaders being possessed for longer than the time they held political power. If nothing else the author certainly made his own personal political views known, extreme ultra conservative. Now even though I personally am a progressive who wants something more than a paycheck for them in political power for the taxes I pay I can put the political statements made throughout the book aside and be objective about Mr. De Leo and his craft.

I found the writing to be tight, the narrative to be done well enough to actually hold my attention in a genre I am not a typical reader of. Growing up and going to a Catholic school for 12 years I will say that even if he was doing it as a jest he actually made the two nuns who are central to the story more human than I have ever looked at nuns. They walk, they talk and they drink and even don't mind a romp, all the while proving they too know how to use language one would never think coming out of a nuns mouth. Mr. De Leo's narration makes it believable.

To some I can see where it would take a great suspension of belief to be able to read ARCHANGEL, but to me to be honest I took the story as a story done by an author who knows his craft and is able to move the tale along. He is especially adept at communicating images of heaven and hell and the final place of the eternal demons, which I found to be believable imagery. Even though just as all mortals none have seen them in any other way than the way we bless or inflict them on ourselves and each other."

A writer can’t buy a review that has the ring of truth, especially when politics and religion both get showcased in the way I presented them in ARCHANGEL. I am blessed that I can write in any way I wish without worrying about whether my viewpoint will alienate readers thanks to already having a profession that puts food on the table. I appreciated very much reading reviews from people who don’t share my political proclivity but could still find my writing entertaining enough to enjoy. It’s all you can ask for as a writer. It has been worth practically giving ARCHANGEL and MONSTER away, just to get the feedback. Writing without readers is a lot like the old cliché of the tree falling in the forest. Is there really any sound?  :)

10 comments:

Jordan Summers said...

Big congrats on the good reviews. The second one is especially impressive. Any time you can get a reader, who doesn't agree with your 'views', to enjoy a story you've done your job right. :)

BernardL said...

Thanks, Jordan. That second reviewer took some time to write that and it was much appreciated. It was the best review I've had since a woman read my sci/fi novel CASSERINE and wrote up a long review on allreaders.com and that was some time ago. :)

Jordan Summers said...

Well, may it be the first of many. :) Reviews don't seem to be happening at the same speed as they used to.

BernardL said...

I've noticed if a writer torques a reader off they can get more reviews than they know what to do with... or want. :)

Charles Gramlich said...

You gotta take that Gramlich guy with a grain of salt, now. In this case I think you can trust him, though. :)

Vesper said...

Great reviews, Bernard.
TWM is a great poet and a great person. :-)

BernardL said...

LOL! Yeah, Charles, just this once. :) Thank you.

BernardL said...

Thanks, Vesper. TWM certainly has an open mind, and a very objective reader's view to be able to enjoy ARCHANGEL which I admit is ultra conservative satire.

raine said...

Oh, great reviews, Bernard. Congrats! Both seem impressed with your writing, whether they agree with your slant or not, and that is VERY complimentary. Yay!

BernardL said...

Thanks, Raine. Feedback is very difficult to get. When readers enjoy the writing, humor, and action, although of a different mindset to the premise, and they let you know about it - it's all good. :)