Search This Blog

Saturday, June 23, 2007

Adware.Win32.ExpDwnldr Trojan

Well, I spent a couple days researching stuff for my YA novel attempt (coming along very well, and I'm watching my word count, Jordan), and wouldn't you know it, I ended up with a self-replicating Trojan virus. It would hijack my browser, going to these rip off security sites, and constantly popping up windows warning me of non-existent problems. With McAfee Total Protection, XP Repair Pro & Privacy package, Windows Malicious Software tool, and even AOL Spyware, I've never had a problem. They couldn't do a damn thing with this Adware.Win32.ExpDwnldr Trojan. The security programs I have would kill off a part of it, but the self-replicating piece of crap would reassert itself immediately. I bought a program that stated it would take care of it; but of course, it didn't. Then I entered the exact problem in Google, and I came up with only one choice, SpyNoMore. Their web site had my exact problem. As many of you know, these things will drive you crazy, so I bought their program, thinking I'd probably end up with another dead end. It killed the Trojan with one scan and remove! I'm blogging it because I love things that do what they claim to do. I linked it. I don't own stock in it. I'm not getting paid for it (so few people come here, I'm lucky I'm not getting charged for the space :) ). If you get something like I picked up, try SpyNoMore. I wish I could tell you where I picked up the Trojan, but I don't know. I was doing Latin incantations and demonology research on about twenty different sites, and I'm not in any hurry to investigate where the Trojan came from. :)

11 comments:

Jordan Summers said...

Glad you found a way to rid the computer of the pain. Don't you know that you can't trust those damn demons? ;) Good luck with that word count. *g*

BernardL said...

It goes to show you can't have too much security on these damn things. I'm throttling myself to make sure I'll complete the story between 60,000 and 75,000 words. Any surplus creativity is going into my sequel to Avatar, which I'm churning out at the same time. I've decided to break in to the published author category by flooding them with work. :) Thanks, Jordan.

Stacia said...

Ack! That is a concern, because I do a lot of demonology research online too.

Thanks B.

BernardL said...

It had to have been hidden in a link to information on one of the sites, because I didn't download anything, D. It didn't hit until the next time I started the computer; and I had three different spam and virus killers working at boot-up, only they didn't work. :)

raine said...

Virus?!

(Raine, easing carefully away...)

BernardL said...

LOL! If you're uneasy reading about this virus here, Raine, I can E-mail you with a nice attachment. :)

Amie Stuart said...

Bernard I feel ya! I caught a nasty one at work once - looking for song lyrics!

No comment on what I was doing looking for lyrics at work eitehr LOL

BernardL said...

Yea, Amie, I read while researching my bug that music and video sites are the number one places these rats insert Trojan virus' in. I won't ask how you explained it at work. :)

Anonymous said...

Hello

Thanks for the info. More on removing it for free here.

I used "Exterminate it!" for free which won't remove it (unless you pay) but will tell you all the registry entries and files to remove. I did this and also checked for all other files that it didn't get but that were created at the exact same time. It "seems" to have gone.

One other thing. This was the first virus I ever saw that didn't go with system restore.

Also the bastard stopped me running task manager (meaning I can't shut it down and therefore can't delete it). However, removal of a registry entry fixes the lack of task manager then you can twat the bastard into oblivion!

Its taken me hours but I think its gone. Fingers crossed.

If I ever meet the guy who wrote it... >_<

BernardL said...

I wish you luck, Anon; but if it's still around, buy the SpyNoMore. It worked. That is one nasty trojan.

BernardL said...

Nick’s